Rhinoceros is a Greek word. ‘Rhino’ means ‘nose’ and ‘ceros’ means ‘horn’.
- Black rhinos have a ‘prehensile’, meaning hooked, lip for pulling leaves off branches.
- Rhinos run on their toes. That’s a lot of weight to carry!
- As the saying goes, rhinos do have thick skin, but they can still get sun burnt.
- Black rhinos are the third biggest of the five types of rhino.
- Black rhinos love eating plants. Up to 220 different types!
The Eastern black rhino is seriously at risk of becoming extinct. You can find out more about how we’re helping black rhino conservation.
The White Rhinoceros is the second largest mammal on the planet – the elephant is the biggest. A male White Rhino can weigh 3,500 kilograms. All of the rhino species weigh over 1,000 kilograms when they are fully grown.
Rhinos may be very big, but they are also very fast. They can run up to 20 kilometres per hour. But they don’t have to run much. Rhinoceros don’t have many predators, so there aren’t many animals that hunt them in the wild. If a brave lion or tiger does try to attack a rhino, the thick horn on the rhino’s nose will easily scare it away!
we support the goals and beliefs of other charity foundations and would like to join them!
Stand with us in condemning the killing of wildlife for trophies, both in the United States and around the world. Pledge to do what you can to end this cruel and unsportsmanlike pastime.